Development Permits

The MD's Planning & Development department provides public-use online mapping resources via Munisight for users seeking development-related  information such as zoning, dimensions and legal addresses. If you have questions or require help filling out the application, please contact the MD office at 780.849.4888.

Development Permits are needed if you plan to: construct a building; replace a building; relocate or demolish a building; change the land by grading, excavating or stockpiling; operate a business; o otherwise change the intensity of the intensity of use of land for a building.

Contemplating changes to your property? The guidance and resources on this page will halp you plan, document and manage a successful project.

Applying for a Development Permit

During the development permit application process, make use of the MD's online mapping resource Munisight to gather information such as zoning, dimensions and legal address. If you have questions or require help filling out the application, please contact the MD office at 780.849.4888. The following steps are recommended when completing your application.

  1. Determine what you want to build and verify that your land use zoning / district allows that development
  2. Draw a site plan
  3. Apply for a development permit
  4. Start the development within 12 months of the date of the development permit approval
  5. Complete the development within 3 years of the approval

Visit the MD administration office in Slave Lake for a hard copy development permit application, or use the link below to download the interctive PDF version.

  • Development Permit Application [Interactive]

  • Appealing a Development Permit

    You can appeal a development permit in the event that:

    • The development permit is refused
    • The development permit is issued subject to conditions
    • A decision has not been made within 40 days

    In addition, any person claiming to be affected by the permit can appeal it.

    Current Development Permit Applications

    Please visit the Public Notices page for more information on current applications.

    Other Requirements

    You may also need a Safety Code Permit for your construction project. Please contact the Alberta Safety Code Authority (ASCA) at 1.888.413.0099 or visit the Safety Codes Council Website.

    MD of Lesser Slave River

    Just a few hours due north of Edmonton, Lesser Slave River is a truly unique place to live, work and play. From breathtaking expanses of boreal forest and unspoiled natural wonders to a thriving economy and genuine work/life balance, opportunities abound. Here you'll discover a place of rugged beauty. A place of real people. A place you'll never want to leave.

    General Contact Info

     info (@)

    Social Connections