Lesser Slave River News

Community news updates from the MD

How to apply for your Development Permit

Development Permits are required if you plan to construct, replace, relocate or demolish a building; change the land by grading, excavating or stockpiling; operate a business; or change the intensity of the use of land for a building.

MD staff must review the application to ensure it complies with its Land Use Bylaw (LUB) and statutory plans. The LUB outlines the types of development allowed in each land use district and the rules and regulations governing those uses.

To determine when a Development Permit is required, several factors must be considered. These include changes in land use, construction or modification of a building, and changes in the intensity of use.

Properties can have a permitted or discretionary use. Permitted uses must conform to all regulations stated in the LUB and statutory documents, and must be approved by the MD. In contrast, discretionary uses require a review by the Municipal Planning Commission, which assesses the potential impact of the proposed use or building on the neighbourhood.

During this process, adjacent landowners are invited to provide their feedback on the development and participate in the meeting where the final decision is made. The application process can take several weeks, so please plan ahead and submit your application well in advance.

Steps to take:

STEP 1: Consult the Land Use Bylaw

Identify the desired development and ensure that it complies with your land use zoning/district regulations.

STEP 2: Draw your Site Plan

Create detailed site and building plans that accurately depict your proposed development.

STEP 3: Submit your application

Complete the Development Permit application thoroughly and accurately, including all mandatory fields. The permit may be issued with specific conditions that must be fulfilled.

STEP 4: Watch the approval date

Start the development within 12 months of the permit approval date. For buildings, complete the construction within 3 years.

Reach out to our Planning & Development team if you have questions about the paperwork needed to obtain your Development Permit. Contact: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. We also encourage you to check out the Planning & Development section of the website.

Print   Email
MD administration offices are open from Monday to Friday between 8:15am and 4:30pm.
Main Office: Box 722 - 3000, 15th Ave SE, Slave Lake, AB
T:780.849.4888  F:1.866.449.4888
Sub-office: 660061 Range Road 20, Flatbush, AB
T:780.681.3929  F:1.866.681.3929




Regional Issues

Popular Resources