Fostering a safe and caring community: responsible pet ownership in the community.
The MD encourages and welcomes pet ownership within the community, but also strongly emphasizes the importance of responsible animal care. To ensure the well-being of all domestic animals, such as dogs, cats, rabbits, and horses, within the community, the MD reminds residents of the importance of proper care and handling. These animals are considered property and should not be harmed or removed from their locale.
Wearing an MD tag is a crucial way to ensure the safe return of your pet, and the MD offers these tags at no cost. Additionally, dog owners must ensure their pets are kept on a leash unless they are on their own property. The MD also offers a cat trapping service, which is provided as weather permits.
Residents with any questions or concerns about animal ownership are encouraged to contact the Bylaw Enforcement representative at 780.849.4888 for assistance, or visit the Pet Ownership section of the municipal website.
Bylaw 2021-11 is designed to protect the public health and safety of citizens, and to promote the general welfare of the residents and animals residing within the MD.
- Abandonment of any domestic animal $500
- Failure to obtain a domestic animal license $60
- Failure to ensure that a collar and license tag are worn when a domestic animal is off the premises of the owner $60
- Permit a domestic animal to be at large $100
- Permit a domestic animal to bite, attack or run at any person or animal $500
- Bite, bark or chase bicycles, automobiles or other vehicles $500
- Bark or howl excessively or make excessive noise $100
- Cause damage to property or other animals $100
- Upset any garbage receptacle or scatter the contents of any garbage receptacles $100
- Chase or harass wildlife or other animals $100
- Failure to confine and house a female domestic animal in heat $100
- Failure to confine a vicious domestic animal $500
- Interfere with enforcement of the Domestic Animal Control Bylaw 2021-11 $500
- Pound fees (per day) $100
- Deliberate harm to a domestic animal $500