Skip to main content

Applying for a Development Permit

Development permits and approvals need to be obtained for new construction, renovations, or changes to how a building or land is being used. Examples of projects or activities requiring a development permit include:

  • Construction, replacement, relocation or demolition of a building
  • Changes to the land by grading, excavating or stockpiling
  • Operation of a business
  • Changes to the intensity of use of land for a building

Development Permit Basics

Development Permits are needed if you plan to: construct a building; replace a building; relocate or demolish a building; change the land by grading, excavating or stockpiling; operate a business; or otherwise change the intensity of the intensity of use of land for a building.

MD staff must review the application to ensure it complies with the Land Use Bylaw. This statutory document outlines the types of development allowed in each land use district and the rules and regulations governing those uses. In some cases, applicants may have to apply for a redesignation prior to making a development permit application.

We recommend the following steps when preparing your application:

  1. Determine what you want to build and verify that your land use zoning / district allows that development
  2. Draw a site plan
  3. Apply for a development permit
  4. Start the development within twelve months of the date of the development permit approval
  5. Complete the development within three years of the approval
Ih builder 01

Subdivision & Development Appeals

Anyone who claims to be affected by a development and who wishes to lodge an appeal against any of the conditionally-approved developments must do so in writing to the Secretary of the Subdivision & Development Appeal Authority on or before the dates as noted in each notice.

Anyone Can Appeal

Any person claiming to be affected by a development permit may file an appeal.

Appealing a Development Permit

Any person claiming to be affected by a development permit may file an appeal. You can appeal a pending development permit in the event that:

  • The development permit is refused
  • The development permit is issued subject to conditions
  • A decision has not been made within 40 days

Other Requirements

You may also need a safety code permit for your construction project. Please contact the Alberta Safety Code Authority (ASCA) or visit the Safety Codes Council website.

Safety Code Permits and Inspection Services

Permits are available through agencies who provide inspection services on behalf of the Alberta Safety Codes Authority (ASCA). Below is a list of accredited agencies that provide safety codes permitting and inspection services for the MD.

The Inspections Group Inc.

Superior Safety Codes Inc.

IJD Inspections Ltd.

to Top