Cultivate your career with the MD.
Situated within the stunning boreal forest region of north-central Alberta, the MD of Lesser Slave River is just a 2.5-hour drive north of Edmonton. This 10,000 square kilometer municipal district is a vast northern paradise full of lakes, wilderness, beachfront, and an abundance of outdoor adventure. From fun-filled sandcastle competitions, gorgeous golf courses and big sport fishing tournaments in the warmer months to skiing, snowmobiling, and ice fishing when the snow flies, our four seasons of fun are sure to keep all who venture here active year round.
The MD of Lesser Slave River offers a variety of employment opportunities to help you make a difference in your community and grow professionally. The MD employs over 75 full-time, part-time, seasonal, casual, and contract staff that serve a population of more than three thousand residents. Explore the opportunities within this section to apply for a job with the MD and take your career to the next level. Don't see a position that applies to you? Feel free to submit a confidential employment application.
A Progressive Workplace Where Opportunity Abounds
At the MD, we truly value and respect our employees for the diversity of skill, experience and knowledge they bring to the organization. To cultivate a corporate culture that attracts and retains great people, we provide a work environment that acknowledges and rewards participation, teamwork, and commitment to excellent customer service. We've worked hard to develop a healthy and flexible workplace that encourages employees to think strategically, work collaboratively and champion new ideas.
Lesser Slave River offers competitive wages and benefits, family-friendly policies, and an environment of respect. We strive to offer a progressive workplace with opportunities to grow and develop staff through ongoing training and development while also supporting work-life balance for employees and their families.
Listed below are just a few highlights of the MD's enviable corporate culture, great benefits and generous work/life balance.
Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Prescription drug coverage
- Extended health coverage
- Dental/orthodontic care
- Vision care
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Life insurance & dependent life insurance
- Accidental death and dismemberment
- Critical illness
- Employee and family assistance program
- Joint employee and employer contributions to the Local Authorities Pension Plan
An Exceptional Corporate Culture
- Social Committee, run by volunteer employees, organize several events each year including the Spring Kickoff, Christmas Party, Kids Christmas Party, barbeques, golfing
- Acknowledgement of dedicated employees with Annual Service Awards at 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 years
- Retirement celebrations
- Health & Safety Program
- Online webinars and inhouse seminars
- Health, safety, wellness training
- Job specific training
- Course reimbursement
- Support for professional association fees
Location, Location, Location
- Unparalleled beauty of living in Alberta's boreal forest region
- The regional housing market has recently softened
- Preferential income tax treatment (we're only a few hours away from Edmonton, but receive the Northern Living Allowance)
- The main administrative office is in Slave Lake - minutes from amenities, schools, hospital, recreation, box stores and more
- A caring, close-knit comumunity
Life, Work and Leisure in Lesser Slave River
Legendary Lesser Slave River
Outdoor enthusiasts find world class activities in the Slave Lake Region: fishing, hunting, boating, swimming, kayaking, canoeing, hiking, golfing, motocross, snowmobiling, ATV-ing, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, and more! Sports such as hockey, soccer, curling, baseball, cricket, swimming and tennis are enjoyed by all in the area. Visit the Municipal History
section to learn more about our region's rich heritage.