With a view to supporting local students to advance studies and pursue higher education opportunities, the MD’s $1,000 Rugged & Real Scholarship is awarded annually to a deserving local student attending a post-secondary institution. For the 2017 scholarship, applicant submissions will be in the form of a six-minute video.
The category for this video will be a Persuasive Speech whereby applicants will endeavour to convince the viewer to think about, or act on, a certain topic. A persuasive speech can be an effective way to engage, inform and possibly sway an audience. Applicants are encouraged to frame their persuasive speech around the following topics:
- The MD is a good place to live, but can certain things be done to make it better?
- Should high school students complete community service hours in order to graduate?
- What would motivate a city-dweller to relocate to Lesser Slave River?
Applicants have complete creative freedom, and won’t be assessed on the video’s production value. However, points will be deducted for videos that are merely informative rather than persuasive. So grab your camera, smart phone or tablet, make your most compelling case for something you feel strongly about, then upload it to ruggedandreal.wetransfer.com.
In addition to the video, applicants must also submit a current resume, as well as a completed 2017 Rugged & Real Scholarship Application Form and Terms & Conditions Form. These forms can be downloaded Here.
The deadline for submissions is July 14, 2017 at 4:30 pm. Best of luck to all 2017 Rugged & Real Scholarship applicants!
All scholarship videos submitted will be judged based on four main criteria:
Part 1: Content and Support Information (30 Points)
- Use of persuasive techniques
- Audience connection
Part 2: Delivery (30 Points)
- Non-verbal delivery: eye contact; facial expression; posture and movement
- Vocal delivery: vocal projection and energy; clarity and word usage
Part 3: Creativity and Originality (30 Points)
Part 4: Time (10 Points)
- Adherence to timeframe of roughly six minutes
Terms & Conditions