Fire Services Weekly Update
The Lesser Slave River Regional Fire Service is committed to protecting life, property and the environment from fire, hazardous materials, natural disasters and other emergencies. As such, the department issues a weekly report on all investigations, fire prevention activities and other Fire Services news of importance to the residents of the Lesser Slave River region.
If you have any specific questions or concerns related to these updates, please contact Regional Chief of Lesser Slave Lake Fire Services Jamie Coutts.
- New Smith Complex
- Points West Fire Drill
- Legacy Center walk through with full time staff
- Duplex Fire in SE
- Truck Fire Hwy 2
- TELUS phone lines down on Thursday. Had trucks and crews driving around town. Deployed radios to all Emergency response Partners. Manned Fire Halls for Walk-ins.
- Had a BBQ for Tim Hortons Staff to thank them for their support with Smile Cookie Week
- Filled air bottles for water plant
- Moved a piano for Legacy Center – Harry Bartlett
- Practice was special teams – driver training, technical rescue, heavy rescue
- Practice winter operations, reviewed minutes from regional Meeting
- Practice: went over new hydraulics and water pump, skills assessment, Probie did pager test and passed. Truck fire on Highway, semi-roll over Cover hall during Telus outage with 2 EMR firefighters until cellular returned.
- Did not practice, had open fire hall for Halloween
- Practice: Scenario: interior operations
- Cleaned up from fire, ordered balaclavas, technical rescue practice Monday night, Emailed Firefighters about airbrakes course, Truck check 151, dealt with AGL permit for smith Complex, contacted Captains about radios, No 911 service: updated the MD on the situation and what we had in place, dealt with burning without a permit, new firefighter interview, truck staging scenario’s, took truck to weekend DO’s place.
- There was not a lot of callouts but the ones we had were significant. Structure fire in a duplex in SE Slave Lake, 4 trucks, and 20 firefighters at 2am. Truck carrying 38, 000 litres of gas struck a pickup that pulled out in front of it. 1 injury and hazmat for spilled antifreeze (gas stayed in semi). Pickup fire on hwy 2, total loss. 4 duty officer callouts, some caused by phone outage. TELUS outage lasting for many hours. Good test of our regional protective service partnerships.